|Scott Walker, Governor|
Donna Williams, Acting Secretary
STATE OF WISCONSIN
DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS
30 West Mifflin Street
P.O. Box 7843
Madison, WI 53707-7843
Phone: (608) 266-1311
Fax: (608) 267-0403
Attention Newsroom—News Advisory
July 15, 2011 Contact: Kathleen Scholl 608-267-3582For Immediate Release
Supermarket of Veterans Benefits to be held in Madison
Two-day outreach event coming up August 5th and 6th
(MADISON) – An outreach event for veterans, their families, and the public will be held in Madison on Friday and Saturday, August 5 and 6.
Veterans can learn about an array of state and federal benefits at one convenient location at a two-day Supermarket of Veterans Benefits hosted by the Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs (WDVA) on Friday, August 5 from noon to 7:00 p.m. and on Saturday, August 6 from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at the National Guard Armory in Madison, located at 1420 Wright Street.
Dozens of service providers will be on hand, including the federal VA, state agencies, County Veterans Service Officers, veterans service organizations, education centers and more. Veterans along with family members of veterans and deployed service members are encouraged come to the Supermarket to learn about federal VA health care, employment, and other information.At this “one-stop shop” for benefits, veterans, military service members and family members can:
- Apply for benefits, such as VA health care and prescription drug benefits, disability compensation and pension, home loans and education or job training grants.
- Find out about employment information.
- Learn about education benefits including the Wisconsin GI Bill benefit of tuition remission for eligible veterans and dependents.
- Receive assistance in obtaining military medals and records.
- Learn what the Wisconsin Veterans Homes in Union Grove and King offer: affordable assisted living, quality long-term care, activities, and a friendly environment.
- Obtain information about nursing care and aging services.
There’s free admission, open to the public.
Learn more about the Supermarket of Veterans Benefits program, including other upcoming outreach events around Wisconsin, on the WDVA website at www.WisVets.com/Supermarkets or by calling 1-800-WIS-VETS (947-8387).